Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Olympic Heroes

Guest post from: Mohamed Simon

Chariots of Fire is a fascinating movie based on a true story. I first saw this www.expertsatellite.com/directv-installation.html about ten years ago, and I've kind of had a fascination for Eric Liddell ever since.

Perhaps it's the Scottish accent, or maybe it's the 1920's period, but for whatever reason I was instantly in love with this athlete/missionary once I saw this movie which led me to read several biographies of the man who became famous for both his physical abilities and his spiritual drive.

I also find it interesting that his family, although proud of his abilities, at first did not want to support his dream of winning a gold medal for running in the Olympics. They were afraid that he would give up his original dream to be a missionary to China.

I like stories of triumph over circumstances, and proving yourself to the people who claim to love you most, but don't always believe in you. It just goes to show that no matter who you are, if you have a dream that know you want to pursue, it doesn't matter what other people think.

And now, with the 2012 summer Olympics approaching, I'm thinking and wondering about the various athletes that will perform and wondering if someday I will watch a movie about one of them.

No comments: